Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I've stuck with it.

I know that I'm not finished with this WIP. I'm far from finishing it. I still have to finish writing it and then I have to finish editing it and so on. But, I'm proud of myself.

Lately, I've been thinking about how this started.

And, quite literally, the inspiration was a car wash and my Zune. More specifically, water on the windows and Howl by Florence + The Machine. I got almost all of the basic plot with that.

And I remember telling a friend about it and her telling me not to give up on a plot that I wasn't in love with writing, to just write this idea as a short story.

And believe me, I tried to do that.

I still have the short story I wrote. I can't show it to you, because it's essentially the biggest part of the book. But, even after I wrote the short story, I didn't forget about it. I plotted in my head and tried to forget so I could  stay with the WIP I was working on.

I didn't. I actually started two more projects before even trying this one.

But I've waded my way through a lot of it. I've let people read it, people I don't know in real life. I've spent months on this one. I'm happy with writing it.

And that's a crazy thought to me, because, while I've been writing for a long time (given that I'm younger than most writers, so long for someone my age, I suppose.), I haven't ever stuck with anything this long. I've never been to ten-thousand words, let alone twenty-thousand and up.

It's crazy to me to think that I may not have even started this one without going with my dad to wash our car, if I hadn't brought my zune, if I had listened when people told me not to write it. I wonder if I would've aimlessly continued my cycle of getting distracted by new book ideas. I hope not.

So, here's to a crazy coincidence. I have no clue what else to thank.

And I apologize for the crazily cheesy post. It's getting late and I'm tired.

No comments: